U.S.-Japan-related nonprofit organizations have been struggling to maintain regular programming and outreach as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. In particular, small and mid-sized organizations that operate on a grassroots level are facing financial difficulties and uncertain futures.
The purpose of this grant program is to provide short-term assistance with operational costs as well as support for the development of new forms of programming that will help sustain the organization in the long-term.
U.S. nonprofit organizations, with 501(c)(3) status under the Internal Revenue Code. In particular, organizations promoting grassroots cultural exchange between the two countries, including, but not limited to, Japan-America Societies, Japanese Gardens, and Museums that perform outreach to local communities through their Japanese collections.
- Clear and concrete articulation of immediate needs;
- At least one (1) tangible output* that will lead to long-term outcomes and sustained impact such as:
- Online and/or digital projects that are interactive in nature, as gatherings of people may not be feasible for the foreseeable future
- Strategic planning that focuses on future activities that can be implemented in a society changed by COVID-19. A report of the outcomes must be created.
- Projects must conclude by December 31, 2020; grant funds must also be expended by December 31, 2020
*Outputs may be publicized by CGP as examples of good practices.
- Small and mid-sized organizations (less than 10 full-time staff)
- Organizations with immediate needs (e.g. shortage of cash reserves)
Please download and read the full guidelines prior to starting the application process.
Full proposals must be received by 6:00 p.m. (EDT), August 31, 2020. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and we encourage early submission. Proposals will be reviewed and applicants will be notified approximately 1 month after initial application submission.
A. CGP Grant Application Cover Sheet – with e-signatures
B. Narrative description of the project
C. Detailed project budget using the CGP Budget Template
D. Curricula vitae for all collaborators and key participants
E. Institutional information
F. Proof of 501(c)(3) status